LAFC 3, Seattle Sounders 1 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
LAFC overcame four international absences and a pair of first-half injury substitutions, riding a brace from Danny Musovski and another tally from Francisco Ginella to a 3-1 victory over the Seattle Sounders at Banc of California Stadium.
Musovski bagged the opener 15 minutes after kickoff to get it started for the hosts, with Ginella adding the a second in the 66th minute. Nicolas Lodeiro scored a gorgeous free kick in the 77th minute to give Seattle a late lifeline, but Musovski would add his second of the evening in the 84th minute to round off the 3-1 final.
LAFC were dealt two injury blows inside the first 15 minutes, first when midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye was forced to sub off shortly after kickoff with an apparently leg injury following a collision with Sounders center back Yeimar Gomez Andrade. The player who replaced Kaye, Andy Najar, then had to exit the contest as well with an injury of his own shortly after taking the field.
The hosts would respond, however, finding the first goal of the contest in the 15th minute courtesy of a headed finish from Musovski, who nodded home a pinpoint free-kick delivery from Eduard Atuesta.
LAFC struck for a second in the 66th minute after a deflection off Gomez Andrade popped loose near the top of the area, allowing Ginella to tee up a perfectly placed volley that beat Stefan Frei at the near post to make it 2-0.
Lodeiro pulled one back for the Sounders in the 77th minute, lashing home a highlight-reel free kick from distance into the top corner to make it 2-1 with time for Seattle to find an equalizer. But Musovski rendered it a moot point, pouncing on another rebound finish in the box in the 84th minute and scorching it home to seal the 3-1 final.
- 15' - LAFC - Danny Musovski | WATCH
- 65' - LAFC - Francisco Ginella | WATCH
- 77' - SEA - Nicolas Lodeiro | WATCH
- 84' - LAFC - Danny Musovski | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: In a match that saw them get hit by early injuries while already missing a healthy group of departed internationals, it's a great job by LAFC to overcome the adversity and take down the first-place side in the Western Conference. While it's certainly a big win, the injury prognosis' of Kaye and Najar are certainly worth keeping an eye on as Bob Bradley's group pushes forward. Seattle were contending with international absences in their own right, but have wayward finishing to blame as much as anything for a rare defeat since the MLS restart.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Amidst a frustrating night, Lodeiro gave Seattle hope for salvaging a point with his stunner free kick. Musovski's final goal ensured there would be no comeback.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: LAFC needed someone to step up big given their shorthanded lineup, and Musovski answered the call in a big way with his brace. The 24-year-old gets the honors for this contest.