New York Red Bulls 1, Inter Miami CF 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The expansion side fell behind in the 53rd minute on a sequence that saw Miami fail to clear a corner kick. Sean Nealis served the ball into Jared Stroud, who quickly played to the back post where Omir Fernandez tapped in to give the Red Bulls a 1-0 lead.
The lead, though, was short lived as Matias Pellegrini leveled two minutes later with his first MLS goal, beating Mandela Egbo to a Lewis Morgan ball into the box and finishing first time past David Jensen.
Tom Barlow had the two best chances of a scoreless first half, beating goalkeeper John McCarthy to a ball in the box in the 18th minute, but Blaise Matuidi raced back for a sliding clearance off the line.
The Argentine legend came up with another touch of brilliance late with his free kick winner from 26 yards out after being clipped by Jason Pendant.
- 53’ — RBNY — Omir Fernandez | WATCH
- 55’ — MIA — Matias Pellegrini | WATCH
- 81’ — MIA — Gonzalo Higuain | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: A shorthanded Inter Miami team due to international call-ups, injuries and suspensions snapped a three-match losing streak in a big way with three massive points in the expansion side’s quest for a postseason bid. Meanwhile, it's the Red Bulls’ fourth loss in the last five games at the former fortress known as Red Bull Arena.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Until Higuain struck his free kick in the 81st minute, we were giving props to Matuidi, a former World Cup winner who hustled back for a tremendous clearance off the line in the first half. But after Pipa’s free kick, nothing else mattered. Take it in again.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: A first MLS goal like that deserves all the honors. Higuain it is.