Seattle Sounders 3, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1 | 2020 MLS Regular Season Match Recap
Raul Ruidiaz scored one goal and helped cause another, and the Seattle Sounders erupted for three goals after halftime in a 3-1 victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday night at CenturyLink Field.
Joao Paulo struck from distance to get things started for the Sounders, who also benefited from Erik Godoy's own goal in a victory that took them within four points of the Supporters' Shield lead behind Toronto FC and Columbus Crew SC.
Fredy Montero scored a consolation penalty for the Whitecaps three minutes before they were reduced to 10 men. Seattle's Yeimar Gomez Andrade had originally seen red for the foul, but it was reduced to a yellow card by referee Timothy Ford following Video Review.
- 46' - SEA - Joao Paulo | WATCH
- 53' - SEA - Erik Godoy (OG) | WATCH
- 58' - SEA - Raul Ruidiaz | WATCH
- 65' - VAN - Fredy Montero (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The worst news of the night for the visitors may have been Lucas Cavallini's yellow card, which means he'll be out for Wednesday's tilt against the San Jose Earthquakes, a match that might be considered a must-win if the 'Caps are going to make a late playoff push. The Sounders meanwhile just keep getting deeper, with Australian international Brad Smith making his return to the club official as a late sub after he was part of the club's 2019 MLS Cup triumph.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Joao Paulo's venomous opener will just give opposing defenses more to think about when they face a Sounders squad that is already blessed with numerous attacking options.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Cristian Roldan. The US international probably should've had a goal to his name. Even despite Bryan Meredith's late breakaway stop, Roldan's work on the right flank was a major portion of the attack all night, and his cross helped create Seattle's second goal.