Orlando City SC 3, New York Red Bulls 1 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
During the first 20 minutes of the first half, both teams looked fairly evenly matched, with RBNY perhaps even leading in terms of dangerous attacks. But then came Orlando right back Kyle Smith charging up the flank and sending in a cross that fell perfectly for rookie forward Daryl Dike, who calmly headed in the opener for the Lions.
The next goal in the match also fell to Orlando. Just five minutes into the second half, Junior Urso ran onto a through ball in transition, shrugged off a defender and finished 1v1 against RBNY goalkeeper David Jensen. It was his third goal of the MLS season.
Less than five minutes later, the Red Bulls pulled one back with midfielder Florian Valot taking advantage of a poor defensive clearance and a fortuitous bounce in the box to make it 2-1.
New York had a few looks at an equalizer and two other shouts for a penalty -- a disputed hand ball in the box and a potential foul on Daniel Royer in the box -- but no spot kicks were forthcoming after checks by the VAR.
- 24' — ORL — Daryl Dike | WATCH
- 50' — ORL — Junior Urso | WATCH
- 54' — RBNY — Florian Valot | WATCH
- 90+5' — ORL — Antonio Carlos | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Given the number of key players Orlando were missing, the result here is a clear sign that this team really does have what it takes in 2020. Whether it's the Supporters' Shield or MLS Cup, Orlando look ready to fight for silverware.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The Red Bulls' penalty shout denial. RBNY had scored a goal less than five minutes earlier, and should the team have been granted a kick from the spot and converted, this story could have been entirely different.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Junior Urso. Scoring a second goal so quickly after the break established the dominance of the home side. Without it, RBNY may have been able to give the Lions a tougher time of it in the second half.