New York City FC 4, FC Cincinnati 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
NYCFC came out firing from the get-go as Mitrita opened the scoring at the 30-second mark — the fastest goal scored in club history — to give the Cityzens the early 1-0 lead. Despite the visitors being heavily dominated in possession, Frankie Amaya nearly leveled things for Cincinnati in the 23rd as his chance just missed the frame.
Anton Tinnerholm, though, converted from an acute angle off a nice pass from Ismael Tajouri-Shradi to double the home side's lead in the 25th, and Mitrita made it a brace in the 43rd as the rout was on. Jesus Medina wrapped up the scoring in the 88th as his free kick deflected off a FC Cincy defender and past Spencer Richey.
- 1' - NYC - Alexandru Mitrita | WATCH
- 25' - NYC - Anton Tinnerholm | WATCH
- 43' - NYC - Alexandru Mitrita | WATCH
- 88' - NYC - Jesus Medina | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: This was more like it for NYCFC. After being shut out at the New England Revolution last Saturday and against Toronto FC at Red Bull Arena on Wednesday — while losing on a 90th-minute penalty despite outshooting the Reds 16-9 — the Cityzens were rolling on all cylinders against an ice-cold Cincinnati side that have scored just 2 goals in 9 matches. It was a rather straightforward performance for a side that are without Heber for the remainder of the season and saw Alexander Ring come off injured in the 1st half.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Just about any time you score the quickest goal in club history in a winning effort, you're guaranteed the moment of the match. So naturally, Mitrita receives the honor in this one
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It has to be the man from Romania, who bagged a brace and made history in the process.
30 - Alexandru Mitrita's goal after 30 seconds was the fastest in @NYCFC's history and the fastest in @MLS since Allan Cruz (28 seconds) for Cincinnati vs Montreal on 9/14/19. Bolt. pic.twitter.com/YEpw6Vnn4F— OptaJack⚽️ (@OptaJack) September 26, 2020